Ch.Chi.22, Su.U.48, A.H.Ni.5
तृष्णा is thirst. Though everyone experiences thirst in his daily routine (Svaabhaavika Roga), excessive thirst is considered as disease.
तृष्णा is a disease manifested with the increased demand of water. Though a person drinks water repeatedly, there is no satisfaction and demands for water again and again. This is तृष्णा.
Thus when thirst increases beyond certain limit, it is a disease and named as तृष्णा.
This is a serious disease and manifests as a complication.
Santatam Yah Pibed Vaari Na Triptim Adhigachchhati |
Punah Kamkshati Toyam Cha Tam Trishn`aarditamaadis`het || A. U. 48.3
(In spite of drinking water again and again, thirst is not fulfilled and a person demands water again, this is a disease तृष्णा)
|Charaka Samhitaa||Sus`hruta Samhitaa||Vaagbhat`a||Maadhava Nidaana|
|Bhaktanimittajaa||Bhaktasamrodhaja (Vaata Pitta)||Bhaktanimittajaa|
|Aamajaa (Vaata Pitta)|
|(Madya) Paanajaa (Pitta)|
- Aamajaa (Aagneyaa / Kaphajaa) Chakrapaan`i
- Annajaa and Kaphajaa of Sus`hruta are counted in Aamajaa
- Kshtajaa of Sus`hruta is counted in Upasargajaa
- Kshatajaa (Vran`ajaa D`alhan`a)
- Aamasamudbhavaa (Ajeern`ajaa D`alhan`a)
- In desiccation of a person, aggravated Vaata and Agni are the two most important factors, without them there can not be dryness in the body.
- In a person who baths with cold water, the hotness in the body gets obstructed and enters in to the Kosht`ha causing thirst. Therefore, when a person is hot should not get in to the cold water suddenly.
- Fear, hard physical work, depletion of physical strength causes accumulation of Pitta in the upper channels of the body.
- Due to the causative factors Vaata and Pitta are aggravated.
- They dry up the Dhaatu of Saumya attribute (Ap Dhaatu S`hoshan`a – dries up the water content in the body) such as Kapha, Rasa Dhaatu, Udaka.
- This Pitta gets associated with Vaata and harbours in Taalu (palate) manifesting thirst. That vitiates Udakavaha Srotas.
- There is drying of Rasavaha Srotas, Jihvaa Moola, Gala, Taalu, Kloma which manifests in the excessive thirst.
- As much water is drunk gets dried and the thirst is not pacified.
- In the pathogenesis of all types of Trishn`aa, Vaata and Pitta are responsible.
Vaata and Agni both get obstructed by Kapha. Kapha gets fried up resulting in तृष्णा. The peculiar symptom of Kaphajaa Trishn`aa is oedema on the limbs.
According to Vaagbhat`a, aggravated Kapha obstructs Vaata in Udakavaha Srotas.
Due to blood loss form the wound there is a thirst called as Kshatajaa Trishn`aa.
It is Aagneyaa Trishn`aa. It is caused due to aggravation of Piitta due to obstruction caused by Aama. According to Chakrapaan`i, it can be also named as Kaphajaa; as Aama is of same symptoms of Kapha.
Aamajaa Trishn`aa is manifested with the symptoms due to all the Dosha. There is aggravation of all the Dosha due to अजीर्ण.
Aamajaa Trishn `aa is generally caused due to aggravated Pitta and Vaata, therefore it is not counted separately by Vaagbhat`a.
Human body is originated and sustained with Aahaara Rasa. This Aahaara Rasa nourishes human body. When this Aahaara Rasa is depleted, the water content in the body also gets depleted and a person becomes thirsty.
Due to depletion of Rasa Dhaatu, a person is desiccated and suffers from burning sensation. He demands for more and more water. According to some, Kshayajaa Trishn`aa is caused due to Sannipaata. It manifests with the symptoms of RasaKshaya.
This type of thirst appears as a complication of the diseases like Jvara, Prameha, Kshaya, S`hvaasa etc. This is difficult to cure.
Consumption of unctuous, sour, salty and heavy food causes तृष्णा.
After consumption of Sneha, in a person with high digestive capacity (Teekshn`aagni), तृष्णा manifested is Snehajaa and it is Pittajaa.
Signs and symptoms
- Prodromal symptom is dryness in the mouth.
- Cardinal symptom is desire to have water.
- There are tremors (Kampa), vertigo (भ्रम), fever (Taapa), burning sensation (दाह), Moha (infatuation), in all the types of तृष्णा.
Complications of तृष्णा
- Mukha S`hosha
- Taalu Karkas`hataa
- Osht`ha Karkas`hataa
- Kan`t`ha Karkas`hataa
- Citta Naas`ha
तृष्णा: Sampraapti and Saadhyaasaadhyatva
|तृष्णा||Vaatajaa||Pittajaa||Aamajaa||Kshayajaa(Rasa Kshayajaa) (S)||Upasargajaa||Kaphaja (S)||Kshatajaa (S)||Bhaktodbhavaa|
|Avayava||Jihvaa Moola GalaTaaluKloma||S`hankhaS`hira||HridayaGalaTaalu|
|Saadhya||Saadhya T`eekaa||Saadhya T`eekaa||SaadhyaT`eekaa||SaadhyaT`eekaa|
|Asaadhya||RogaprasaktaKris`haPrasakta VamiprasaktaUpadravayuktaKsheen`a Vichitta Rugn`aBadhira Rugn`a Nirgata Jihva Rugn`a|
|Dosha||Vaata Pravriddha (Prakopa)Pitta Pravriddha (Prakopa)||Vaata Prakopa||Pitta Prakopa||Aama Avarodha Janita Pitta PrakopaTridoshajaVaata Pitta Pradhaana Arun`adatta||Tridosha Prakopa (Sannipaataad iti Kechid)||Kaphaavrita Anila Kaphaavrita AnalaKapha S`hushka|
|Dhaatu||Saumya Dhaatu S`hoshan`a||Rasa Kshaya|
|Srotas||Rasavaha S. S`hoshaAmbuvaha S. Dusht`i||Sroto Rodha|
|Effect on others||Udaka S`hosha||Udaka Kshaya|
Last updated on February 12th, 2021 at 09:18 am