Characteristic feature of उरुस्तंभ is stiff and stable thighs. उरुस्तंभ is a single disease caused by the vitiation of all the three Dosha. It is not divided into types in accordance with the Dosha. In this disease पंचकर्म is totally contraindicated.
Stambhayet Sthairya S`haityabhyaam Oorustambhah tatah tu Sah | Ch. Chi. 27.14
(When both the thighs become stiff due to stability and coldness, this is Oorustambha)
Causative factors of उरुस्तंभ are
- Consumption of unctuous, hot, Laghu (easy to digest), cold food when earlier food is undigested.
- Consumption of liquid, dry, curd, milk, meat
- Liquor prepared from Pisht`a (Starchy) material
- Sleep in day time, suppressing natural urges etc.
(These factors aggravate Aama and provoke Dosha, especially Kapha)
- Aama is aggravated due above causative factors.
- Aama accumulates in Kosht`ha. It further coats internal organs.
- This Aama gets associated with Meda and obstructs Vaata, Pitta and Kapha.
Due to the heaviness, this Aama with Meda and Tridosha traverse to the thighs (Ooru) quickly through the channels going downward (Adhogaami Siraa) filling the channels in the thigh and leg.
- Kapha with Meda defeating Vaata and Pitta causes stiffness, stability, and coldness in the thighs.
Lakshan`a (Clinical presentation):
Patient can not lift up the limb or can lift it with difficulty or pain.
Other signs and symptoms are heaviness, stiffness, burning sensation, pain, numbness, and tremors in the thighs.
Status of Sampraapti related factors उरुस्तंभ
|Avayava||Kosht`ha (Aama Upalepana)|
|Asaadhya||Daaha Yukta, Arti Yukta, Toda Yukta, Vepana Yukta|
|Dosha||Vaata Aamasamruddha, Pitta Aamasamruddha, Kapha Aamasamruddha Dosha Meda Bala Utkat`a, Kapha Sameda, Vaata Kaphaavrita, Vaata Medaavrita|
|Dosha & Gun`a||Kapha (Guru, Sthira, S`heeta, Stimita)|
|Dhaatu||Medas Sahita Aama|
|Indriya||Avidheyaparispanda (Asvaadheena) Indriya|
|Effect on other||Aama Sakapha, Aama Samedas, Aama Savaata|
Last updated on February 11th, 2021 at 10:52 am