Ch.Chi.15, S.U.40, M.N.4
The function of ग्रहणी is to hold the food material till it is digested; it is released for further processing. The disease in which physiology of ग्रहणी is hampered is called as ग्रहणी.
Grahan`ee Dosha means that Dosha which are situated in ग्रहणी. अग्निमांद्य and अजीर्ण are the diseases which are manifested in ग्रहणी, but here only 4 types are included as ग्रहणी Dosha as typical destruction of ग्रहणी. In these diseases ग्रहणी gets disturbed physiologically.
ग्रहणी is site of Agni (digestive power) and as it holds the food (Grahan`a) it is called as ग्रहणी. It is the sixth Kalaa, which is also called as Pittadharaa Kalaa. It is related to umbilical region. ग्रहणी gets strength due to this digestive power (Agni) and so it holds the undigested food and when gets digested is passed on. This function of ग्रहणी is hampered when Agni Dusht`i happens (lowered capacity of digestive fire to digest) and then ग्रहणी passes undigested food as it is.
ग्रहणी is disturbed when a person indulges in the causes which reduce the capacity to digest (Agni).
It may happen that a person cured of अतिसार having less digestive capacity, when consumes unwholesome diet, his / her ग्रहणी is affected. Therefore, it is necessary that a person should obey the restrictions like a purgated person (Viriktavat), till he becomes strong enough and the Dosha get reduced.
Actually, strength of ग्रहणी is nothing but digestive capacity (Agni) which resides in it, so when Agni gets distorted, necessarily ग्रहणी also gets distorted.
Grahan`yaah rogo Grahan`ee Rogah | M. N. 4.2,3 T`eekaa
The disease of ग्रहणी is ग्रहणी or Grahan`ee Dosha.
It is also denoted by Grahan`ee Dosha.
Actually, Grahan`ee Dosha resembles to Ajeern`a. Agni Dusht`i is a major factor in Grahan`ee Dosha. Charakaachaarya has explained four types of Agni in Rogaaneeka Vimaana. They are
Amongst these excluding Sama Agni, all three types are the imbalance in digestive capacity. These all can be treated as Grahan`ee Dosha. Sama Agni is a cause of healthy status of a person.
- Due to indigestion (अजीर्ण), eating in excess amount (Atibhojana), Vishamaas`hana etc. digestive capacity is hampered. (Agni Dush`i)
- Easily digestible food material also can not be digested by a person.
- Therefore, the food turns acidic (S`huktatva – Amlataam)
- The food resembles to poison as a poison is a cause of many diseases, this undigested food is also a cause of many diseases.
- Actually, all types of अजीर्ण are categorized in this, viz. Aamaajeern`a, Vidagdhaajeern`a, Visht`abdhaajeern`a, Rasas`heshaajeern`a.
- This Annavisha when gets associated with Vaata, Pitta or Kapha it manifests with the symptoms according to the Dosha.
- If it gets associated with Mootra it causes Mootraroga; when gets associated with Pureesha, it manifests with Kukshi roga. When it gets associated with Dhaatu like Rasa etc. then it causes diseases respected to that Dhaatu.
- In ग्रहणी the food is partly digested and partly undigested i. e. Vidaaha. Grahan`ee passes the food either digested (Pakva) or indigested (Aama).
Lakshan`a: (Poorvaroopa – Upadrava):
In Poorva Roopa Avasthaa Grahan`ee passes Pakva and Apakva food, in Roopa Avasthaa it passes only Aama food.
When aggravated Dosha, singly or collectively distort ग्रहणी, then it passes the undigested food for many times. It may pass digested food also. There is pain in abdomen associated with it. It becomes foul smelled. It may be properly formed due to Vaata or liquefied due to Pitta. This is a disease which is called as ग्रहणी.
The formed bowel may pass suddenly and repeatedly without any cause or unformed bowel may pass suddenly and repeatedly without any cause. This situation may remain for a long period because of accumulation of bowel (Sanchayaat Cha Upaves`hayet)
It is very complicated to treat, rather incurable and chronic in nature. It aggravates in day time and pacifies in night. The causative factor behind this is Aama, Vaata or Saama Vaata.
When a person sleeps a person feels pain in the flanks (Paars`hva S`hoola) and there is a sound like pouring of water through a vessel (Jala Ghat`ee Dhvani)
This is also called as Ghat`ee Yantra or Sangraha Grahan`ee.
ग्रहणी: General information
Vyaadhi Prakaara: Aamapradoshaja Vikaara Svabhaava Chirakaaree
Mala: Pureesha: Saama or Pakva
Krichchhra Saadhya: Anatiksheen`a Bala, Maamsa, Rakta
Asaadhya: Ksheen`a, Vriddha, Upadravayukta Rugn`a
Comparative study of ग्रहणी types
|Agni Dusht`iAgni Aaplaavan
|Agni Dusht`iAgni Hanana
Last updated on February 9th, 2021 at 10:34 am