- लिप्यते इति लेप:। D`alhan`a
- External application of a medicine in a paste form is termed as Lepa.
- This is described as the Aadya (initial) Upakrama of Vran`a.
- First type of classification:
- Pralepa – Very thin coat of medicine having cold potency.
- Aalepa – The thickness of medicine should be of moderate size.
- Pradeha – The thickness of the medicineshould be twice that of Pralepa.
- Kalka – Aalepa if used at the place of व्रण it is termed as Kalka.
- Second type of classification:
- Doshaghna – ¼ Anguli in thickness and indicated in S`hothaadi disease for Doshanaas`hana
- Vishahara – 1/3 Anguli in thickness. It is indicated in allergic reactions of Bhallataka and swellings due to Keet`adams`ha (insect bite).
- Varn`ya (Mukhalepa) – ½ Anguli in thickness. It is indicated in Vyanga, Nilikaa etc.
- Lepa should not be applied during night except in cases of Pittaja, Raktaja, Abhighaataja and Vishaja Vran`a. When it is to be applied over Vran`as`hotha and Peed`ana (Pressing) is required it can be applied at night.
- Fresh Lepa should be prepared each time.
- Lepa should not be appliedover the previously applied Lepa.
- This is a main Upakrama of Vran`a Chikitsaa.
- The Lepa should always be S`hlakshn`a (non resistant, soft).
- It should be applied in Pratiloma direction i.e. in opposite direction of hair direction.
- The hair at the application site should be removed first.
- Lepa materialonce applied should not be used again for application after removing.
- The Lepa should be removed when it dries except when Peed`ana at that site is required.
- The Lepa should be removed with the help of Luke warm water after it dries.
- Pralepa – Tanu, Avis`hoshi Or Vis`hoshi, S`heeta
- Pradeha – Ushn`a / S`heeta, Tanu / Thick, Avis`hoshi, Vaatakapha Pras`hamaka, Sandhaana, S`hodhana, Ropana, S`hothahara, Vedanaapaha
- Aalepa – Madhyama Gun`a, Raktapitta Prasaadaka
- Kalka – Aalepa if used at the place of व्रण is termed as Kalka. It reduces Raktaadisraava. Vran`a Maardava is achieved. Pootimaamsa S`hodhana, Vran`a S`hodhaka
- Aalepa should contain unctuous material
- For Pittaja Vikaara – 1/6 of the whole material.
- For Vaataja Vikaara – 1/ 4 of the whole material.
- For Kaphaja Vikaara – 1/8 of the whole material.
- For Raktaja Pratis`hyaaya, Pittaja Pratis`hyaaya and Pooyas`hon`ita associated with Paaka, Daaha and Rookshataa Lepa of S`heeta Dravya should be applied.
- Anulepana can be used in the condition where Snaana is contraindicated.
Last updated on May 26th, 2021 at 05:55 pm