|Etymology/ Definition||वाग्देहमनोनिर्वर्तितश्चष्टाविशेषो व्यायामव्यवायजागरणअध्ययनगीतभाषणध्यानधारणादिरूप:। अ.हृ. नि.१/६ अरुणदत्त|
|Reference||C.Ni.1/41, Chakrapaan`i, A.H.Ni.1/6 Arun`adatta|
|Literary Meaning||M / W – wandering, roaming|
|Implied Meaning||It is the lifestyle correlated with healthy or diseased state of a person or a patient respectively.|
|Elaboration||It has twofold meaning:|
1. Appropriate lifestyle that helps in avoiding diseases or maintaining a healthy state.
2. Unwholesome lifestyle that develops proneness to diseases.
Arun ` adatta defines lifestyle in a comprehensive manner. It encompasses an individual’s all the actions that are verbal, mental or physical. It comprises physical exercise, Vyavaaya ( sexual intercourse ), Jaagaran`a ( keeping awake at night ), Adhyayana ( studying ), Geeta ( singing ), Bhaashan ` a ( conversation ), Dhyaana ( meditation, preoccupation ), Dhaaran`a ( retention, focussing one’s mind ), etc.
D`alhan`a describes four types of lifestyles:
1. Gamana – ambulation or sexual intercourse ( with a woman )
2. Chankraman`a – wandering from one place to another
3. Sthaana – maintaining erect body posture for a long time
4. Aasana – maintaining a particular sitting posture for a long time
Last updated on June 18th, 2021 at 11:03 am