|निद्रा मेध्यानाडीमनः संयोगात् देहेन्द्रियाणां सुखभोगः ।सु.सू.१ /२५
|C.Su.21/35-38, S.Su.1/25, S.Chi.24/88
|M / W – a moment of sleep
|It is a period of rest for the body and mind, during which physical and mental faculties are not doing their regular functions.
|Sleep plays an important role in maintaining health of an individual. Sleep is one of the three pillars of life along with food and celibacy. Sound sleep at night is very essential.
Charaka Samhitaa describes the physiology of sleep. Mind along with the sensory motor apparatus becomes exhausted by doing prolonged work resulting in their withdrawal from their respective stimuli resulting induction of sleep.
Sleep taken at proper time and for proper period leads to a healthy and happy life. It brings about strength, strong digestive power, enthusiasm, good complexion and pleasure.
Charaka classifies sleep in six categories as under
1. Tamobhavaa : Occurs when Tama Gun`a increases.
2. S`hleshmasamudbhavaa : Occurs due to Kapha Dos`ha .
3. Sleep occurring due to exertion of mind and body.
4. Aagantukee : It occurs as a Risht`a Lakshan`a ( fatal sign ).
5. Vyaadhi Anuvartini : Sleep occurring due to a disease.
6. Bhoota Dhaatree: Natural sleep occurring at night. This is the normal type of sleep.
Last updated on June 15th, 2021 at 11:10 am