C.Chi.16, S.U.44, A.H.Ni.13, M.Ni.8
- Sarveshu Cha Eteshu Iha Paan`d`ubhaavo Yato Adhiko Atah Khalu Paan`d`u Rogah |
Su. U. 44/4
- Paan`d`utvam Teshu Cha Adhikam Yato Atah Paan`d`uh Iti Uktah Sa Rogah |
A. H. Ni. 13/4
- Paan`d`utvena Upalkshito Rogah Paan`d`u Rogah | M.Ni. 8/1 Madhukos`ha
The skin changes to the yellowish white colouri.e. Paan`d`u Varn`a; therefore it is called as Paan`d`u.
Paan`d`u is indicative of yellowish white colourof the skin. The disease is Pitta Pradhaana. The person feels heaviness and laxity in his Dhaatu. The physical strength of a patient is also reduced. Raktaand Medas are decreased hence the person gets emaciated. The perception ability of a patient by the sense organs also gets reduced.
There may be the manifestation of other Colours on the skin Krishn`a (black), Peeta(yellow) due to Dosha. But mostly the disease gets manifested with the Paan`d`u Varn`a, therefore the disease is called as Paan`d`u. (Su. U. 44/1, 4 D`alhan`a).
Some scholars are of belief that Paan`d`u is of 8 types. (S.U.44/4D`alhan`a)
- Vaataja Paan`d`u
- Pittaja Paan`d`u
- Kaphaja Paan`d`u
- Saannipaatika Paan`d`u
- Mrid Bhakshan`aja
- S`haakhaaS`hrita Kaamalaa
- Kosht`haas`hrita Kaamalaa
Types Charaka, Asht`aanga Hridaya
- Mrid Bhakshan`aja
- Sus`hruta has counted Mrid Bhakshan`aja Paan`duin Saannipaataja Paan`d`u. S.U. 44/4 D`alhan`a.
- Saannipaatika Paan`d`u reveals all the signs and symptoms due to individual Dosha. C.Chi. 16/26
- Sus`hruta has not counted it as different type of disease Paan`d`u, as eating clay aggravates the Dosha as per the Rasa (taste) of it. Ultimately, it is counted under Doshatype of Paan`d`u.
Pitta dominant Dosha is responsible in pathogenesis of Paan`d`u.
- They are aggravated in the Dhaatu causing S`haithilya (laxity) and Gaurava (heaviness) in the Dhaatu.
- There is decrease in the qualities of Ojas.
- The complexion, strength (physical) and unctuousness (Sneha) decreases.
- The patient gets emaciated.
- Rakta and Meda Dhaatu both are emaciated. The optimum qualities of the Dhaatu get decreased (Nihsaara)
- The Indriya become unable to percept.
- Colour of the patient gets changed (Vaivarn`ya)
- Though there is aggravation of Pitta, the harbourof Pitta I. e. Rakta does not increase. This is because the aggravated Pitta decreases the Rasa Dhaatu which nourishes the Rakta Dhaatu.
The aggravated Pitta gets harboured in the heart (Hridaya).
- This Pitta is thrown away by the Vaayu which enters in to the Das`ha Dhamanee.
- Through these Dhamanee, the Pitta spread all over the body beneath the skin and muscular tissue. (Tvak and Maamsa Antaram)
- After reaching there, Pitta vitiates Vaata, Kapha, Rakta, Tvak and Maamsa.
- This results in the change in the skin Colour to Paan`d`u (Yellowish white), Haaridra (Yellow), Harita (greenish)
- This is Paan`d`u.
- Paan`d`u, Haaridra and Harita are the different Colours which are manifested on the skin. Amongst these Colours, Paan`d`u is the mostly manifested Colourof the skin. Therefore, the disease is called as Paan`d`u.
Sus`hruta, Maadhava Nidaana
- Aggravated Dosha vitiate Rakta Dhaatu and change the skin to Paan`d`u Varn`a. (Paan`d`urataa)
- Actually, Tvak and Maamsa both also are counted as Dooshya in Paan`d`u. Haarita counts Rasa Dhaatu as a Dooshya in Paan`d`u. (M.Ni. 8/2 Madhukos`ha)
Mrid Bhakshan`aja Paan`d`u:
Due to clay eating one of the Dosha gets aggravated. Clay of astringent taste aggravates Vaayu. Clay of alkaline nature aggravates Pitta. Clay of Madhura taste aggravates Kapha. Due to its dryness, it makes the Dhaatu and food dry. This clay fills and obstructs the channels in the body. The perceptive capacity of the sense organs lowers down. The physical strength, Veerya, Ojas get hampered. Patient suffers form Oedemaon Akshi Koot`a (periphery of the eyes), eyebrows, cheek area (Gan`d`a), umbilicus and penis (Med`hra) .
Upadrava of Paan`d`u:
- Moordha Rujaa
- Kan`t`hagata S`hopha
- Hridi Avapeed`ana
|Avayava||HridayaTvak Maamsa AntaraTvak|
|Asaadhya||Anteshu S`hoona (Hasta Paada Mukheshu S`hoona)Ateesaara Peed`itaBaddha Alpa Vit`Chhardi YuktaChirakaareeDeenaGuda S`hophaHarita Atisaran`aJvara Peed`itaKaala Prakarshaad S`hoonaKahareebhootaMed`hra S`hophaMlaana (Kris`ha)Moorchchha YuktaMushka S`hoonaPaan`d`u DantaPaan`d`u NakhaPaan`d`u NetraPaan`d`u Sanghaata Dars`heePariheena Madhya (Kris`hamadhya Kaaya)S`hveta Varn`a Digdha AngaSakapha Ateesaran`aTrishaa YuktaYah Peetaani PaS`hyatiYah S`hvetatvam Aapnuyaat|
|Vyaadhi Vyavachchheda with||Kaamalaa|
|Dosha||Pitta Pradhaana Pitta Samudeern`a Vaata Dusht`iKapha Dusht`iDosha Dusht`i||Vaata Prakopa||Pitta Prakopa||Kapha Prakopa||Vaata PrakopaPitta PrakopaKapha Prakopa||Dosha Prakopa (any one Dosha)|
|Dosha_Gun`a||According to the symptoms of Dosha type of Paan`d`u||ChalaKharaLaghuRookshaSookshma||DravaLaghuSaraTeekshn`aUshn`a||GuruMandaS`heetaS`hlakshn`aSnigdhaSthira|
|Dhaatu||Dhaatu S`haithilya Dhaatu GauravaRakta Alpa (Kshaya)Meda Alpa (Kshya)Rakta Dusht`iMaamsa Dusht`i||Dhaatu Raukshya|
|Mala||Sveda Abhaava||Pureesha Sarakta Pureesha Sakapha Pureesha SakrimiPureesha Bheda|
|Srotas||Rasavaha S. Dusht`iRaktavaha S. Dusht`iMaamsavaha S. Dusht`iMedovaha S. Dusht`i||Srotas Pooran`aSrotas Rodha|
|Indriya||Indriya S`haithilya||Indriya Bala Hanana|
|Agni||Anala Hatatva||Agni Naas`ha|
|Ojas||Oja Kshaya||Ojas Hanana|
Dosha Prakopa (any one Dosha)
Meda Alpa (Kshya)
Rakta Alpa (Kshaya)
Maamsavaha S. Dusht`i
Medovaha S. Dusht`i
Raktavaha S. Dusht`i
Rasavaha S. Dusht`i (Haarita)
Indriya Bala Hanana
Last updated on February 11th, 2021 at 11:06 am